What Is Cerebral Palsy?

Our Michigan birth trauma lawyers often take cases brought to them by overwhelmed parents. These parents trusted their doctor and medical staff to properly deliver their baby.

In cases where a doctor, nurse, or hospital commits medical negligence that cause cerebral palsy or other injuries to a newborn, there may be recourse for the child and the family. Often times, the child will have specialized living needs, require special education, and have other medical and management needs over their lifetime. When the injuries were due to medical malpractice or negligence, the family and child can seek compensation through an experienced Michigan medical malpractice lawyer.

Cerebral palsy (CP) is a group of disorders that can involve brain and nervous system tasks, such as movement, learning, hearing, seeing, and thinking.

There are several different types of cerebral palsy, including spastic, dyskinesia, ataxic, hypotonic, and mixed.

Cerebral palsy is also known as: spastic paralysis, paralysis – spastic, spastic hemiplegia, spastic diplopia, and spastic quadriplegia.

Cerebral palsy is caused by injuries or irregularities of the brain. Most of these problems occur as the baby grows in the womb, but they can happen at any time during the first 2 years of life, while the baby’s brain is still developing.

In some people with cerebral palsy, parts of the brain are injured due to low levels of oxygen (hypoxia) in the area. It is not known why this occurs. Sometimes the cause of cerebral palsy is unknown.

Premature infants have a slightly higher risk of developing cerebral palsy. Cerebral palsy may also occur during early infancy as a result of several conditions, including:

  • Bleeding in the brain
  • Brain infections
  • Head injury
  • Infections in the mother during pregnancy
  • Severe jaundice
Take Legal Action Today!

To have a conversation about your child with one of our experienced Michigan cerebral palsy lawyers, call us now. We will listen to your story and explain how we can best help your child and family.

Call Now - Free Case Review
(844) 840-2252